Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 13:48:58 +0100
From:      Shaun Jurrens <shamz@login2.powertech.no>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What kind of attack is this?

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 10:54:14PM +1030, Mark Newton wrote:
#> On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 12:48:47PM +0100, Shaun Jurrens wrote:
#>
#>  > Just a note, I think you will find some useful preliminary work already done.
#>  > IIRC, Dag-Erling has written some code that he uses on his irc servers for
#>  > udp/smurf attacks.
#>
#> What, code to automatically smurf the kiddies who are stupid enough to
#> get on IRC and talk about hacking?  About time someone did that :-)
#>
#>     - mark

Well, for a start, the admins of the well-known sites that make the attacks so
serious because of network misconfiguration (as well as their upstream
providers) could receive tons of angry e-mail.  The "amplifier" sites are easy
to find for the script kiddies too.  You can find more at:

http://www.powertech.no/smurf
-and a list of the biggest offenders (which I see has gotten better, I hope no
FreeBSD natives can be found here )-
http://www.netscan.org/lamers-r-us.html

I hope I was of some help.
--