Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:33:33 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suroute ??

dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au said:
> Seems like a rather messy solution to a simple problem. Is this the
> best / most technically correct solution ??  I'm trying to root out as
>  many "home grown" fixes that have been inherited here as possible &
> replace them with "standard" versions where available. I'm sure  this
> isn't the only situation on the planet where remote users with a  few
> public IPs dialin to a POP. How does everyone else deal with it ??

Mike's solution would fix your "problem" as presented--that you have a
script which has stopped working.  It would also be a "minimum change"
solution because all the rest of your setup should be the same.

Given additional information (like what it's for), you'll get a different
solution.

> Wayyyyyy back when, all the dialup users used SLIP, thankfully there
> aren't many of them left. However I've had better results with user-
> ppp than pppd and would like to move all the dialups over to user-ppp.
> Main challenge appears to be automating the "route add" after the link
> is up.

One of the sad things about SLIP is that most implementations didn't
permit you to set up routing, so you needed hack solutions.

PPP is much nicer because there's some address negotiation as part of
the protocol.

However, without a good knowledge of your topology it's hard to say
what the best (or even a good) solution would be for you.

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319