Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 19:30:13 -0400
From:      Bob Hall <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing fvwm from 4.3 RELEASE

Parv,

Thanks for the answer. I downloaded your response to my posting onto
my Unix box while I was testing mutt. Since I haven't figured out how
to get nullmailer and mutt to work together yet, I can't respond from
that machine. So I'm responding from the Mac, and I'm not going to
try to quote the entire message by retyping it.

Here's all the info on my non-functioning fvwm installation that I've
posted so far:

1) If I try to call fvwm with anything except
    fvwm2 &
in xinitrc, fvwm won't start at all.

2) When I start fvwm, I get the desktop with some vaguely 3-D xterms.
The windows have no buttons, and I can't move them or resize them. I
can get only one menu, with only one functioning selection: Quit fvwm.

3) I can get fully functional instances of twm, blackbox, and
enlightenment by calling them in xinitrc with
    <window manager name> &
Fully functional means that I was able to click buttons on the window
frames, iconify the windows, resize them, etc. None of this was
possible in fvwm.

4) xinitrc is not a dot file in my installation.

In answer to your question, this is a brand new FreeBSD installation,
and all the fvwm files are from the fvwm package on the first cd of
the FreeBSD 4.3 RELEASE cd collection. This is version 2.2.4. I have
no files from previous or later versions.

Further info: typing the following command after installation returns nothing:
    find /usr -name "*fvwm2rc*"

As near as I can figure out, the window manager packages are supposed
to work without needing any configuration after installation, aside
from calling them in xinitrc. That's the case with the three that I
have successfully started.

Bob Hall
Know thyself? Absurd direction!
Bubbles bear no introspection.     -Khushhal Khan Khatak
MySQL list magic words: sql query database