Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 19:15:55 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@sabami.seaslug.org>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Scott Blachowicz <scott@sabmail.rresearch.com>, R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE2: make install 'fails' ...

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 10:03:22PM -0400, Will Andrews wrote:
> > * Tricks needed to build kde2 ports
> > ** make PREFIX=/usr/X11R6/kde2
>
> Does this allow people to have both KDE2 and KDE on their systems??  If
> so, that's GREAT!

If you're careful with paths, I think it might...but I'm not
completely sure yet.

> > ** The header file <arpa/nameser.h> has a struct field named "class" that
> >    g++ didn't like a whole lot :-).  It was included from
> >    kdelibs-1.90/kdecore/ksock.cpp to get a constant for Solaris.  I
> >    ifdef'd it out like this:
> >     #ifndef __FreeBSD__
> >     // defines MAXDNAME under Solaris
> >     #include <arpa/nameser.h>
> >     #endif
>
> Ok, I'll add this patch, although I didn't have a problem with this
> particular nit.

Yes - I think someone else pointed out that that header file was fixed
in a later FreeBSD version than I have (3.2).

That reminds me...I forgot to include that problem with the missing
mkstemps() function in this list.  That was in
kdelibs-1.90/kdecore/ktempfile.cpp and this code:

    bool
    KTempFile::create(const QString &filePrefix, const QString &fileExtension,
              int mode)
    {
    #ifdef __FreeBSD__

I changed that ifdef to '#if __FreeBSD_version >= 330002'.

> > ** Make sure my $PATH setting has /usr/X11R6/kde2/bin before
> >    /usr/local/bin (where the old kde port installed things).
>
> Yup.. can have a simple script in .xinitrc to take care of this.

Well...the .xinitrc that I've been accumulating over the past 9 years or so
isn't so simple any more :-)).

> > ** Make sure my $LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting has /usr/X11R6/kde2/lib before
> >    /usr/local/lib (where the old kde port installed things).  Not sure if
> >    this is needed or has an effect.  I need to read up on shared library
> >    handling on FreeBSD...
>
> ldconfig -m %B calls ``ldconfig -m ${PREFIX}/lib'', which adds the
> correct search path for where you installed the libs.

Yes...but I'm wondering if there are kde1 vs kde2 conflicts in the library
names.  If so, the kde2 programs would need to prefer the kde2 lib dir over
the kde1 lib dir.

> >     kio (Slave): slave has connected to application
> >     kio (Slave): got answer 103
> >     kio (KIOJob): error 24 www.freebsd.org
> >     kio (Scheduler): Scheduler: job finished job = 0x8119200 pid = 5022
> >     kio (Scheduler): slave status
> >     kio (Scheduler): Slave = 0x8198000 (PID = 5022) protocol = http host = www.freebsd.org Not connected
>
> This is unusual.. looks like some protocol handling code isn't being
> built for you.  konqueror works flawlessly for me.

Hmmm...maybe I should just break down and upgrade my OS to 4.0 :-)...what are
you running?  Ah well...dinner calls...

--
Scott Blachowicz