Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 08:48:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, justin@apple.com
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Esry Don-FDE005 <Don_Esry-FDE005@email.mot.com>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Volume managers (was: Separate boot partition?)

On Wednesday,  7 April 1999 at 12:20:28 -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> "Justin C. Walker" wrote:
>>
>>> From: "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>

>>> I don't believe that's the case with IBM. I have been known to be
>>> wrong before, though...
>>      The company name, I think, is Veritas (as in Veritas Vos
>> Liberabit).
>
> Or as in "In vino veritas."  ;^)
>
>> And you're correct that IBM didn't *buy* the
>> implementation from Veritas.  It's quite similar in idea, though.

Do you think they could take the truth?

> No, actually IBM *did* originally buy the volume manager bits from
> Veritas.  They then took the additional step(s) of completely
> integrating volume management and journalling into their filesystem
> and making it the default.  This was about AIX 3.0 or 3.1 timeframe,
> if memory serves correctly.

From what I've been told, IBM's approach is orthogonal to Vinum and
Veritas.  Vinum and Veritas have plexes as the middle element in the
hierarchy, whereas IBM has replicated subdisks.

> I propose we should do the same with Vinum, pending agreement from
> Greg for technical porpoises and the owners of Vinum from a license
> standpoint.  Adding disk space to a system is MUCH easier when you
> can throw a new drive onto the system, slice it up, and throw a
> slice into swap, another slice into /usr, and a third slice into
> /var without moving files or other chicanery.
>
> Greg, do you think this might be possible for 4.0 RELEASE?

I can't see why not, since it's possible now.  What we still need to
do is find a way to extend a file system, but that's a ufs issue
(which has a solution), not a volume manager issue.

Greg