Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 12:29:05 -0500
From:      "Jack Xiao" <jack_xiao99@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   hardware encryption under freebsd

Hi All,

It's said "A new in-kernel cryptographic framework (see crypto(4) and
crypto(9)) has been imported from OpenBSD. It provides a consistent
interface to hardware and software implementations of cryptographic
algorithms for use by the kernel and access to cryptographic hardware for
user-mode applications. Hardware device drivers are provided to support
hifn-based cards ( hifn(4)) and Broadcom-based cards ( ubsec(4))."

"A FAST_IPSEC kernel option now allows the IPsec implementation to use the
kernel crypto(4) framework, along with its support for hardware
cryptographic acceleration. More information can be found in the
fast_ipsec(4) manual page."

In this case, if I want to use hardware encryption/decryption, should I use
fast_ipsec instead of ipsec in the kenerl option? By the way, I am using
FreeBSD 4.7 Release. I am also curious if anybody has such experience in
this group before my trial. How's the performance?

Thanks.

Jack