Date:      Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:14:51 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        MS-KILA <msKila@speakeasy.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux issues - ioctl errors

MS-KILA <msKila@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> anyway.  i'm wanting to do some voice chatting with some folks.
> after much grumbling and resentment, i got linux-mozilla up with it's
> version of flash.  now i can, at least, get into the chat room.
> however, attempting to use the mic gives me "linux: 'ioctl'
> fd=[29,32,33,34], cmd=0x4dfd ('M', 253) not implemented" errors
> everytime i access the mic settings property in the chat room
> (flashchat).  i'm really not sure where to start looking, although
> i've been looking all over the place; x11, xfce, fbsd.org forums,
> pipermail forums, google.  and i'm not even sure which linux site to
> start with!
>
> maybe i'm not using quite the correct mixer? (xfce4-mixer)  should i
> use one of the other sound drivers?  (alsa, arts, esd?)  (pcm and
> oss)  or do i not have enough linux emulation installed?

You have to use OSS based sound code (so: no alsa). The error message is a
report from the FreeBSD kernel that there's no support for this ioctl. The
right support forum for this is emulation@FreeBSD.org.

So you have to find someone who is willing to
- lookup what this ioctl is supposed to do
- write code for the FreeBSD kernel to support it (I assume less than 100
lines of code needed, but I may be wrong...)

Bye,
Alexander.

You can measure a programmer's perspective by noting his attitude on
the continuing viability of FORTRAN.
		-- Alan Perlis