Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 09:36:47 +1100
From:      Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wanna buy an EIDE harddisk ... 5400 or 7200 for home use (noise)

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 01:17:54PM -0500, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> >Now I saw in the Magazine, that there is a similar drive available,
> >with 2 MB cache and another drive which has additionally 7200 U/min.
> >
> >Does somebody know the following drives ?
> >U92720U8, 27.2 GB, 9ms, 2MB cache, 5400 U/min DM 440.- (~ $220)
> >U92732U8, 27.3 GB, 9ms, 2MB cache, 7200 U/min DM 460.- (~ $230)
> >U93652U8, 36.5 GB, 9ms, 2MB cache, 5400 U/min DM 585.- (~ $290)
> >U94098U8, 40.0 GB, 9ms, 2MB cache, 5400 U/min DM 635.- (~ $315)
> >
> >Do you think, the large drives (36.5 or 40 GB) will run under
> >FreeBSD 3.4 and 4.0 current well ???
>
> >From what we've been hearing they will probably be fine, though with
> 3.4 you will have to either make partitions no larger than 27 GB or
> else use the new IDE driver from 4.0.

ummm, i realise that this might be a silly question, i'm  not
that familiar with scsi devices at all and harddrives seem to
me to be the most arcane of the esoterica that is scsi.

when, if, such ddevices become available for the scsi bus will
the end user require doing anything special, ummm, that is take
sepcial measures like your  proposing for the 'ide' type bus
version of these large drive devices ? i've use scsi where ever
possible, because  of the inherent reliability and performance
(for my meager requirements) issues, such as they are.

i'm assuming that such 'large' drives are created by increasing
the packing density of  cylinders, also the number of  sectors
per  cylinder and that the scsi host adapter is required to
have ever more processing 'grunt' to keep up with the required
workload ... are these new drives more fragile than thier older
and less dense counterparts, given the increase in
manufacturing and materials technologies over the same period
of time.

is freebsd in the ball park as regards keeping up with the
'trends', as it apreas to be going .. that being single unit
devices with large capacities and little if any, ummm
'scaling', wuummm, er interdevice compatability. i remember the
old ide devices, even the same model from a given manufacturer
would have difficulties existing in a chain of more than one
device, this has (to my knowledge, or experience) not (if ever)
been a probelm with scsi. of the very few that i have heard
about all were replaced as warrentable failures with the
replacements working as expected in chains of 5 or more
devices.

ideas, opinions musing etc would be most apreciated.

warm regards and thanks .. best wishes for the new year.

cheers,

jonathan