Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:07:02 -0500
From:      "Richard Ward" <mh@homenetweb.com>
To:        "Chris Johnson" <cjohnson@palomine.net>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Safe SSH logins from public, untrusted Windows computers

Chris Johnson,
What about using a ICMP or UDP client/server that will authenticate a root
login from a "bad" public machine without having to execute a password via
your keyboard? Just a crude idea. I'm very skeptical about logging in as
root from any machine I don't feel 100% safe about. Although using one-time
passwords would be a better solution, it doesn't seem like a feasible answer
to me.

If I could shoot a really crazy idea your way: What about using the
"Character Map" program included with Windows to slowly "type" out your
password? Though that would probably be cached long before you overwrite the
Clipboard.

Good luck.

--
Richard Ward, GM