Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:27:03 +0200 (EET)
From:      pgd@telehorizon.com
To:        Freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Host is down

Hi,
i'm trying to setup a NAT within a NAT and until now everything goes fine except
one thing (the most important..). I cannot ping a client in this second
sub-network. I can not even ping the broadcast address.

The situation is like this (where you see a '#', it is a network card):

         10.0.0.0            PC3     192.168.0.0
         +----+    +-PC1    +----+
         |1st |    |        |2nd |
world<---#NAT #----+--------#NAT #-----PC4
         |serv|    |        |serv|
         +----+    +-PC2    +----+

NOTE: PC3 and PC4 is connected with a crossover cable.

The output of ifconfig -a does not give anything strange (the two network cards
are OK) and the subnet mask and the ip-numbers are also OK - i check them with
an on-line utility (The ip address for the server(PC3) is 192.168.1.1 with
netmask 255.255.255.0).
The message that i get when i'm trying to ping a client is:
  PING 192.168.1.2 (192.168.1.2): 56 data bytes
  ping: sendto: Host is down
-- the same when i'm pinging from a client to a server.
Note the 1st NAT server works without any problem...
The configuration for the 2nd NAT server is the same as for the 1st..
Any idea where might be the problem?

Thanks in advanced,
paisios