Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:49:58 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Hostnames

Boy, are we ever getting off-topic here...

<<On Fri, 23 Feb 96 10:51 PST, pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah) said:

> Mine are all seabirds, except for the one that's remoted at an ISP
> location, which has the rather unimaginitive names of www.pelican.com and
> ftp.pelican.com (and a couple of virtual hosts, etc.)

About ten years ago, our group was using spice names.  A number of
people here were working on a modified version of 4.3 which ran on
VAXstations.  This system became widely popular around the Lab, and
became known as the ``allspice system'', because the software
distributions were all synchronized to our group's server, named
allspice.  This reinforced the selection of spices as machine names,
and as a result a number of groups (including ours) are still using
spices.  In our group, I think only pepper (the last machine of ours
which is actually still running the allspice system), ginger (which
has allspice as a CNAME), and tabasco remain.  A few years ago, the
group switched to moons, and we have a whole bunch of these, now.
When I came here, I took a dislike to the moons, and started using
swords from Diane Duane novels.  (When at UVM, I used horses from
Robin McKinley stories.)  Of course, my machine follows none of
these.  (It used to be adrastea, a moon, but now it's halloran-eldar.
A booby prize for anyone who can determine the origin...)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.