Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:26:27 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Stephane E. Potvin" <sepotvin@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetBSD's uvm_pglistalloc equivalent?

"Stephane E. Potvin" wrote:
> In my porting effort to the ARM platform, I need a function that has the
> functionality of NetBSD's uvm_pglistalloc. This is needed because the L1
> table of the StrongARM processor is four pages. These pages need to be
> allocated contiguously. I guess that I can probably acheive this goal by
> wrapping something around contigmalloc, but before I do so I just wanted
> to double check that there was no already available facilities that I had
> overlooked.

How often must this be allocated?

How many of them are needed?

If you only need a small set number of them, then they can be
allocated very early on in the system lifetime, which means
you should allocate them in machdep.c, with the rest of the
memory overlay which attempts to make memory in protected mode
look like physical RAM.

-- Terry