Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:05:10 -0600
From:      Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
To:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windriver, Slackware and FreeBSD

Josef Grosch wrote:
> Source people. Lord knows with WindRivers licensing and pricing structure
> they are going to need all the good karma points they can get.

That's for sure, Josef. They're as brutal as they come for payware
terms. After all, their prime market was our (taxpayers') pocketbook.
With the end of the Cold War, a lot of their high dollar contracts have
vanished, but for years they commanded a very high price indeed for
their toolset. Time will indeed tell.

Fortunately, core has the ability to tell WR to hike whenever they want.
We might lose one mirror-cycle's worth of changes, but FreeBSD caannot
be held hostage by anybody. Bought perhaps, but I very much doubt Jordan
or any of the other key players would suborn their own baby. They
believe too much in the viability of FreeBSD as a long-term plus to
allow somebody with a personal agenda to pervert the main threads of
development. We've seen several attempts to do that already, and FreeBSD
still looks awfully healthy to me.

We will see spin-offs, perhaps, but I think it unlikely that WR will
expose much of their code to us. As for knowledge flowing the other way,
that's why people like Jordan get on company payrolls and we like that.
That's what the BSD license is all about, is people having expertise
that's valuable to employers because BSD is reaally useful stuff. We
want employers to employ developers, and if they'd rather our people
work for them rather than putting our salary time towards the Project,
we're still ahead of the game. core will still code; it's in their brain
stem cells.

As for Slackware, it's up to their guys to cut the mustard. Right? I
mean, if it's a viable project other contributors will step up and
development will go forward. It's all too easy to forget that the
concept of employing open source developers to work on _anything_ was
far-fetched, let alone working on an OS on company time.

Linux guys have a tendency to get angry about almost anything these
days. Relax, it just means we'll outlive them. :-)
--
Don Wilde                  Don@Silver-Lynx.com
Silver Lynx   Embedded Microsystems Architects