Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:14:00 +0200
From:      Socketd <db@traceroute.dk>
To:        twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suid bit files + securing FreeBSD (new program: LockDown)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:16:58 -0700 (PDT)
twig les <twigles@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I really like the sound of having a shell script to run and lock
> down systems right after install (or makeworld upgrade); I was
> considering hacking something together myself with my altogether
> mediocre scripting skills.  Might I suggest that it have a conf
> file that sets up a script that we can simply scp to another box
> and run without having to have a conf file on that box?  Also
> can we email you privately with "feature requests" like setting
> umask, etc.?

Well, LockDown only has two files (the executable and the conf file) and
I'm gonna write it in C++, so making the C++ write a second program in a
different language (which I don't master) is maybe a little overkill ;-)

But feel free to write me. I will start working on LockDown in about 2-3
weeks (I think) and I'll post a notice here when I am "done".

> If you run with this I hope you'll post the script somewhere and
> tell us so we can tinker with it until it makes it to the ports
> or whatever.  It makes more sense than me just making a
> checklist and following it every time.

LockDown is just an automatic security checklist ;-)

br
socketd