Date:      Tue, 13 May 2014 17:18:06 +0100 (BST)
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, matthew@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make check-plist ok, but portlint complains: %%PORTDOCS%%@dirrm %%DOCSDIR%% missing

>On 12/05/2014 18:36, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>> I'm updating devel/robodoc to staging.
>> As suggested on the wiki page,
>> env DEVELOPER=3Dyes make stage && make check-plist && make package
>> runs fine, no issues.
>> However, portlint -A reports:
>>=20
>> # portlint -A
>> WARN: /usr/ports/devel/robodoc/pkg-plist: Both ``%%PORTDOCS%%@dirrm %%D=
>OCSDIR%%'' and ``%%PORTDOCS%%@unexec %D/%%DOCSDIR%% 2>/dev/null || true''=
> are missing.  At least one should be used.
>>=20
>> I have in pkg-plist:
>>=20
>> bin/robodoc
>> bin/robohdrs
>> man/man1/robodoc.1.gz
>> man/man1/robohdrs.1.gz
>> %%DOCSDIR%%/AUTHORS
>> %%DOCSDIR%%/ChangeLog
>> %%DOCSDIR%%/NEWS
>> %%DOCSDIR%%/README
>> %%DOCSDIR%%/manual.css
>> %%DOCSDIR%%/manual.html
>> %%DOCSDIR%%/robodoc_example.rc
>> %%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/Box.pm
>> %%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/Box/RectangularBox.pm
>> %%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/Box/SquareBox.pm
>> %%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/Cargo.txt
>> %%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/Loader.txt
>> %%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/SmartLoader.pm
>> %%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/TruckPacker.pl
>> %%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/robodoc.rc
>> @dirrmtry %%DOCSDIR%%
>> @dirrmtry %%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/Box
>> @dirrmtry %%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source
>> @dirrmtry %%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample
>> @dirrmtry %%EXAMPLESDIR%%
>>=20
>> What's the problem?
>>=20
>> As recommended on the wiki page I made
>> the docs and examples non-optional, because
>> they are very small.
>
>portlint results are guidelines: if there's a good reason to do things
>in a way that portlint complains about, then go right ahead.  However,
>you may have to justify your choices and persuade a committer to commit
>as is.
>
>Given you're installing some docs and examples, I'd add support for
>making them optional, even if they are pretty neglible in size.  It's
>probably better for your port to behave in-line with other ports even if
>not doing that is a reasonable choice.
>
>Enabling DOCS and EXAMPLES in your port is pretty simple.  You need to
>add %%PORTDOCS%% and %%PORTEXAMPLES%% to the appropriate lines in
>pkg-plist and add
>
>OPTIONS_DEFINE+=3D DOCS EXAMPLES
>
>to the Makefile if you want them to show up in an options dialogue.

still the same:

# cat pkg-plist
bin/robodoc
bin/robohdrs
man/man1/robodoc.1.gz
man/man1/robohdrs.1.gz
%%PORTDOCS%%%%DOCSDIR%%/AUTHORS
%%PORTDOCS%%%%DOCSDIR%%/ChangeLog
%%PORTDOCS%%%%DOCSDIR%%/NEWS
%%PORTDOCS%%%%DOCSDIR%%/README
%%PORTDOCS%%%%DOCSDIR%%/manual.css
%%PORTDOCS%%%%DOCSDIR%%/manual.html
%%PORTDOCS%%%%DOCSDIR%%/robodoc_example.rc
%%PORTEXAMPLES%%%%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/Box.pm
%%PORTEXAMPLES%%%%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/Box/RectangularBox.pm
%%PORTEXAMPLES%%%%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/Box/SquareBox.pm
%%PORTEXAMPLES%%%%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/Cargo.txt
%%PORTEXAMPLES%%%%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/Loader.txt
%%PORTEXAMPLES%%%%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/SmartLoader.pm
%%PORTEXAMPLES%%%%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/TruckPacker.pl
%%PORTEXAMPLES%%%%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/robodoc.rc
%%PORTDOCS%%@dirrmtry %%DOCSDIR%%
%%PORTEXAMPLES%%@dirrmtry %%EXAMPLESDIR%%/PerlExample/Source/Box
#

# portlint -A
WARN: /usr/ports/devel/robodoc/pkg-plist: Both ``%%PORTDOCS%%@dirrm %%DOCSDIR%%'' and ``%%PORTDOCS%%@unexec %D/%%DOCSDIR%% 2>/dev/null || true'' are missing.  At least one should be used.

I guess the issue is about dirrm vs dirrmtry ?

Thanks

Anton