Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 1996 08:37:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
To:        tcg@ime.net
Cc:        metcalf@imagine.com, questions@freebsd.org, joseph_m._o'connor@ccgate1.bms.com
Subject:   Re[2]: Repair boot sector of IDE hard drive

     Thanks,

     Just as a final note, my collegue and I managed to install FreeBSD
     successfully to the entire hard drive and utilized the full 1272 MB of
     space.  Does that shed any light as to whether it was our BIOS or IDE
     interface doing the translation, or is was the Ontrack Disk Manager?

     We aren't too unhappy at this point that FreeBSD takes up the entire
     drive.  However, an interesting afterthought.  My collegue has two
     IDE hard drives > 1GB in size.  We only installed to the slave drive
     and he reserves the 'Master', C:, drive for DOS and MS Windows.
     His C: drive's data is fine, but DOS fdisk reports that it too now
     has only a maximum size of 504MB.  Fips reports
     a corrupted boot sector for the drive entirely filled with FreeBSD,
     but doesn't report any such corruption on his C drive.  What might
     this imply about his setup?

     Regards,

     JM