Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 1996 10:00:05 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      af@biomath.jussieu.fr (Alain FAUCONNET)
To:        ali@axis.axisnet.net (Ali Lomonaco)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape and XDM

Ali Lomonaco wrote / a ecrit:

> 	I logged in in XDM and started Netscape from the FVWM menu.  It
> said "could not fdopen() the new stderr: Invalid argument".  Its said that
> in its own windows with the title "Netscape: Error".  When I run netscape
> from the xterm it doesnt complain at all.  And when I use startx and run
> netscape from the FVWM menu it doesn't complain either.  I have tried
> all the scenarios as root and as a normal user.  That doesn't seem to be
> the problem.  And last when I click OK on the Error windows netscape
> starts up and the title says "Netscape: Untitled".

Hmmm... that reminds me of problems I have had long ago trying to make
xdm work on AIX 3.1 (that was unsupported by IBM at that time).
The processes launched from the window manager's menu had /dev/console
as their stdout/stderr and for some reason could not write to it.

I'd  try  adding the following script in fvwm's menu and see if output
goes  anywhere (including one of the text consoles, use Ctrl-Alt-F1 or
F2  to  switch  to them --- do you run xconsole or one of the terminal
emulators with the -C option by the way ?)

#!/bin/sh

echo "This goes to stdout"
echo "This goes to stderr" 1>&2

When xdm is not used, /dev/console gets owned by the  first  user  who
logs in from the console if the following /etc/fbtab file exists:

#
#       Added to force /dev/console to be owned by the user who
#       logged into the console. JM 6/5/96.
#
/dev/ttyv0 0600 /dev/console
(lines of dashes not included)

I  don't  know if it's also required when using xdm, but I'd give it a
try.

_Alain_
--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE