Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 08:32:25 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Kent Ketell <kketell@juniper.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID Controllers Supported?

Kent Ketell wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> Can you tell me how the DPT interacts with the O/S?  If there
> is a problem will the O/S notice (like a drive dies).  If a
> disk should fail does the DPT automagically rebuild the RAID?

I beleive so... To be honest theres very little interaction with the O/S - if
a drive fails, the array beeps constantly until sorted out. If you have a
hot-spare it will automatically start rebuilding to that, otherwise you have
to down the machine - and run the DOS utilities...

(We have a dual boot system on our production box with this).

> I was also looking at an external sub-system using the CMD
> controllers in a fully-redundant config.  I have used this
> before in a BSDI system with no problems, but wanted to see
> if the DPT solution would perhaps be better, as well as less $$$.

We have had no problems with the DPT, it was cheap - it's cheerful, and it
does what we want... I beleive Simon Shapiro (who wrote the drivers) is also
working on FreeBSD utilities to control the rebuilds / array config etc.

Regards,

Karl