Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 02:27:37 -0400
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Aleksander Rozman - Andy <andy@kksonline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AX.25 or maybe X.25 support?

--lCAWRPmW1mITcIfM

On  0, Aleksander Rozman - Andy <andy@kksonline.com> wrote:
> I am new here, so I was just wondering if there was any talk on=20
> implementing AX.25 or X.25 protocol to FreeBSD?
> AX.25 is protocol for Packet Radio (Internet through HAM devices). X.25=
=20
> should be *little* similar to AX.25, but not that much. Having AX.25 done=
=20
> already would be great, but if there is X.25 we could work from there and=
=20
> make it AX.25. So anybody heard about anything like this on FreeBSD?

I've been toying around with this for a while (about two years), but have
yet to decide what the best way to handle this is.  I've used the AX.25
stuff in Linux quite extensively, but I'm not really happy with the way it's
designed or made use of.

I suppose the first thing to figure out is what you want to DO with AX.25
drivers.  Implement Net/ROM and build a 573-port backbone packet router
node?  IP-over-packet routing (as in NOS)?  End-user BBS applications? =20

I could see FreeBSD running as an exquisite router node if the drivers were
built into the kernel, ASSUMING that the configuration code and back-end
drivers were written with a little more intelligence than the Linux versions
are.  (That could be a little difficult, but do-able.)  The Net/ROM protocol
sorta lends itself to this, and ROSE is a disgusting thing that should be
avoided at all costs.  :)  If you're going to run IP over packet, the IPFW
and NATD code in the kernel could add all kinds of creative stuff that's
almost impossible to do with THE/NET-X1J & friends.  If the main interest is
running an end-user BBS, I think the appropriate method is to build in a
simple KISS-to-userspace driver over serial ports, then let the userspace
BBS software handle things from that point - or, you could just tweak a copy
of NOS to run on FBSD and let it operate just like it does on Linux.

Then I think about WAMPES.  I like the idea that it integrates things betwe=
en
packet users & the standard UNIX services, but I absolutely hate the way it
does it.  With any modern system, it's completely idiotic to have a
userspace program add accounts to /etc/passwd by user request.  (My brain
shifts gears a bit...)  The WAMPES idea, implemented under FreeBSD jails,
could provide the best of both worlds.  Create a virtual machine that has
it's own config and nothing that's security-sensitive, and you might have
something worth running...

I could rant on for hours.

--mike   N8NVW

--lCAWRPmW1mITcIfM