Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 18:38:26 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM in FreeBSD land (was: rsh problems)

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 03:08 -0800, David O'Brien wrote:

> Ah, it sounded like you meant all of PAM was going bye-bye.

While we're at this:  Where can I learn more about PAM in the
FreeBSD environment?  I'm aware of being OT, but this is a reply
to a -stable article and I offer to collect the answers and
summarize them for -stable, -doc or -questions (even when I'm not
subscribed to most of them).  Yes, I did my own efforts on this.
But I'm stuck and will provide feedback on what I get from your
friendly answers in the hope to help those who have a similar
problem or situation.  No, I'm not "just consuming" and expecting
to get things on a silver platter.

I know of "man -k pam" and looked at the src/contrib/libpam files
(where the Linux PAM Admin Guide, the Sun RFC, and the code
reside), but I failed to get a list of, say, PAMified apps or
FreeBSD (or *BSD) specifics.  Doing 'ldd `which $APP`' and
looking out for libpam stubs compiled in is somewhat tedious.
And this kind of support can change and make the above gotten
knowledge miss, as we can see in the rsh discussion.

BTW: Searching at the FreeBSD site only turns out the ports list
(since PAM is in two of the fourthousand names).  And searching
at Google's FreeBSD section reveals all those Pamelas who like to
announce their nickname "Pam" and their (adult) photo galleries,
since many of their sites have "bsd" in their domain name by
accident ...

I would hate to see that I have to setup our new server(s) under
Linux (not that I would hate it, it has its places for use -- but
some of the things I've seen and experienced in FreeBSD, simply
like, admire or even love, would be missing) just because PAM is
fully integrated there.  It's not really an option, "it's just
there" and the "ubiquitous" word comes to mind.

The background is BTW that I'm searching for a centralized user
database for all the services summing up in a LAN environment
(ssh sessions, smbfs and print services, email access, cvs repos,
maybe ftp and some others).  In case I'm heading for the wrong
direction thinking of PAM I would appreciate getting corrected
and taught of alternatives, too.  But I failed to see what, say,
Kerberos could do for me except for authenticating login sessions
or filesystem access.  There is documentation on how to set it
up, but I haven't found what I could achieve with it.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net