Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 02:52:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Load-Balancing - any solutions?

Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch> types:
> Tuesday, December 05, 2000, 4:42:17 PM, you wrote:
> > Check out 'rsync' and the rest of the ports collection, there's
> > good stuff in there.
> I'm still looking for something somewhat faster (i.e. no more than a few
> seconds lag between the master and the slave servers)...

Have you tried integrating the distribution into your source code
control system? This way, there is no "master" and "slave" server;
there's a source repository and a collection of "public" servers. The
public servers pull content from the repository, rather than having it
pushed from the master. The public servers either poll the repository
for updates, or you make the act of publishing a document include
starting backgrounded update commands on all the public servers.  This
spreads the load out across all the servers, which helps keep them in
sync with each other.

I user perforce for this; you can read the official perforce white
paper on web content management <URL:
http://www.perforce.com/perforce/wcm.html >. I've got a FAQ that adds
more to this topic somewhere. If you want, I'll chase down a pointer
to it for you.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.