Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 1995 07:35:21 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 951026-SNAP and 4megs

>> >sorry :)...  also... on my 8meg machine the ram reported was
>> >640/3456k...  just for the record...  also...  we could say just disable
>>
>>    Hmmm, I think your 8MB machine has problems. Does the BIOS report 8MB
>> during it's memory test?
>
>nope...  when I took out the 4megs memory... it reports 004096 KB...
>normally it reports 8192 kb... sorry... I was providing a distinction between
>my laptop and my other machine that I said I took the 4megs ram out of...
>TTYL...

   Ohh...I understand what you mean now. Yes, this difference (3456 vs. 3328)
ca happen when the chipset does/doesn't support remapping some of the memory
that is normally lost in the ISA hole. This can be up to 384K of difference,
but most chipsets only remap 256K. I think the failure cases are with the
machines that *don't* do this remapping - there just isn't quite enough memory.

-DG