Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 16:13:10 +0100
From:      Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@izr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Subject:   Re: newfs/vinum kernel panic

Bill Moran (wmoran@iowna.com) wrote:
> Mark Drayton wrote:
> > Hardware:
> >
> > Dual PII/350 cpu 256mb RAM 7 x 4gb IBM SCSI disks (4 x DDRS-34560W
> > S97B, 3 x IBM DCAS-34330W S65A) Adaptec aic7890/91 Ultra2 SCSI
> > adapter
>
> <from your trace>
> > mp_lock = 01000002; cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 01000000
>   ^^^^^^^
>
> Could be a multiprocessor problem. A good diagnostic might be to
> compile a single processor kernel and see if the problem is still
> there.

Nope; still panicing with a uniprocessor kernel. I was getting some odd
errors from one of the drives so I swapped it for another drive of the
same type. Still no joy.

I can build a debugging kernel if anyone wants me to.

I'm considering trying different motherboards (we've got plenty of other
machines with the same boards/CPUs), although I've got another dual
PII/350 (same board and one IBM disk) on 4.3-RELEASE/SMP kernel which is
rock solid. Is this newfs problem characteristic of hardware trouble?

Cheers,

--

Mark Drayton