Date:      Sat, 07 Nov 2009 19:23:45 +0100
From:      umage <theultramage@gmail.com>
To:        Jason <jhelfman@e-e.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: networking won't come back up until reboot after ISP outage

On 7. 11. 2009 19:07, Jason wrote:
> Have you tried restarting routing?
>
> /etc/rc.d/routing restart
>
> I have found the same symptoms with other outages and not performing the
> above.
>
> I have done "/etc/rc.d/netif restart" and "/etc/rc.d/routing restart".
>
> Wtih using these commands, I have found this to be successful in
> restoring
> network interfaces communication, without having to reboot.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 03:05:40PM +0100, umage thus spake:
>> Hello. I have had 3 network outages this week, and everytime it
>> happened, I found that my freebsd8rc1 machine/router was unable to
>> communicate over the WAN interface even after the outages ended. A
>> reboot helps, but that's not an acceptable solution.
>>
>> The symptoms are very weird: even though dhclient successfully
>> receives a dhcp lease and sets up the interface, I am unable to ping
>> the gateway. The ifconfig utility says the interface is up and
>> configured correctly; netstat -arn says routes are set up as they
>> should be; and tcpdump reports random network traffic arriving on the
>> interface (so the network itself is up and running). Taking the
>> interface down and back up doesn't help, reloading ipfw rules doesn't
>> help.
>>
>> I have some more things to test - whether tcpdump reports any
>> attempts at outgoing traffic, and whether disconnecting/reconnecting
>> the network cable will do anything. And maybe reverting ipfw rules to
>> what I've been using before. Other than this, I have no idea what
>> else to do...

Thank you for the hint, I will try it when this happens again.
Note: the output of netstat -r was identical to what it is currently...
FYI: I've been using freebsd 6.2 -> 7.2 until now, and I never had to
intervene - the system resumed networking as usual. It might have
something to do with migrating to 8rc1 (most likely not), or that I'm
now using DHCP and there's a glitch somewhere (maybe).