Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 1995 20:39:59 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Mike Hench <hench@cae.uwm.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   broadcasts and routing

<<On Mon, 13 Feb 1995 18:58:49 -0600 (CST), Mike Hench <hench@cae.uwm.edu> said:

> how does one go about sending an ip with a dest of 255.255.255.255
> out 1 or all interfaces ?
> i want:
> inet-> 255.255.255.255  && enet->ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

This is an interesting question.  I personally don't have time to look
into it right now, but if you would please file a bug report on it
(using `send-pr'), it will get put in the database for the next time
somebody gets up the courage to examine this bit of code.

If you'd care to investigate this on your own, I'd put a check in
ether_output() just before it calls arpresolve() to see if the M_BCAST
or M_MCAST flags are set on the mbuf, and if the destination IP
address is what you expected.  Then, follow the chain back to
ip_output() and in_broadcastaddr() if these are wrong.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.