Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:36:31 +0100 (BST)
From:      Michael Searle <searle@longacre.demon.co.uk>
To:        rick hamell <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mixing RAM for FreeBSD ?

On Tue 22 Sep, rick hamell wrote:
> > >inaccurate, just that the thing being measured at 12ns is *not*
> > >the same thing that is measured at 60ns in the SIMMS. When you
> > >start comparing apples/apples, the numbers are more like 55ns vs.
> > >60ns.
> > >
> > >Or maybe this is a false memory.
> >
> > You could be right and I'm more than willing to be educated.  Anybody know?
>
> 	I've heard something like this too, though I don't remeber what
> it was. I think it had to do with the BUS speed, hence we're seeing
> "100mhz compatible memory," instead of 8ns or 10ns or whatever. Pretty
> much to answer the first posters questions, it don't matter how fast
> your memory is, your computer can handle it. Now... weather it handles
> it with no parity problems, etc, is a measure of the quality of the
> memory and your motherboard. I.e. Packard Bells are famous for having
> 70ns memory, but it tended to run at 80 or 90ns pretty easily. :)

The difference is that normal SIMMs are asynchronous to the host bus, the
60ns is the minimum access time for the first word of a 4 word cache line.
(the next 3 words are read at a faster rate) EDO RAM may have timings of
5-2-2-2 : 5 clocks for the first word, 2 clocks for each next word. (non-
EDO RAM will be around 6-3-3-3.) Some chipsets can read teo lines at once.
(5-2-2-2/2-2-2-2).

SDRAMs are synchronous, so the access time measured is the clock rate (ie
10ns = 100MHz). The timing is something like 7-1-1-1 for a 66MHz SDRAM, so
it is faster but not as fast as it appears to be - multiplying by 5 is
about right. (10ns SDRAM ~= 50ns EDO)

Faster SDRAMs are generally not much faster for reading the first word of
the line, but can still read a word every cycle for the rest of the burst
at a higher clock speed, which is why SDRAM speed is usually given by a
frequency. 100MHz SDRAM would have timing around 10-1-1-1. (Also, as you
said a lot of memory is low quality and can't really run at the specified
speed: speeds given in ns are where this happens most.)

For more information, see Tom's Hardware Guide (http://tomshardware.com/)

--
csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk