Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 02:38:11 -0500
From:      Matt Rosenberg <matt@server.wulaw.wustl.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   runaway e-mail

I just had the strangest thing happen on my FreeBSD 2.1.5 system.
Everything had been running great in the mail subsytem ever since
it was installed more than a year ago as 2.0.5.  All of the sudden,
tonight one of the e-mail messages with what looks like a proper
header was replicated more than a dozen times.  I checked the mail logs
of both the sending (a Novell GroupWise) and receiving systems and
confirmed that the message only came over in one connection.  It was
properly distributed to two lists on the system, but for some reason,
stayed in the mailq and with the same message ID was redistributed every
half-hour exactly (the time I have sendmail set to reprocess the queue).
Eventually after about 7 hours of this named crashed and dumped for the
first time in the history of the system.  This then of course stacked up
the rest of the system until I was woken up from a peaceful sleep and
found 517 messages sitting in the queue -- almost all for nslookup
failures (due to the named crash).  What I'm dying to know is what
caused the same message to stay in the queue and replicate so many
times?  Here is the header from the message: