Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 13:03:23 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        randyd@nconnect.net (Randy DuCharme)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Assembler programming

In his e-mail Randy DuCharme wrote:
> Greetings,
>      This may be another dumb question, but can one do 'pure' assembly
> language programming under FreeBSD?  If so, how?  In DOS / WINNT I used
> MASM 6.11.  Any good books on this subject?  Any recommendations on GOOD
> reading on the GCC compiler & libraries?

Of course you can.  You could use gas, for instance (GNU assembler, a part
of GCC.)

As to why you *don't* want to do any pure assembly, see the -questions
archives from about a month ago. (in a few words, the compiler will 99.9%
of the time generate better code than a human; modern CPU pipelining
makes for "interesting"(TM) optimization possibilities.)

/Marino

P.S. As someone said, documentation on C in unix is to be found in files
ending on .c and .h, whereas for assembly one should peruse .s and .S  :)