Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:33:36 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        chris@aims.com.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, dwcjr@inethouston.net
Subject:   Re: kernel core

In message <3AE30D1F.FE107AC6@newsguy.com> "Daniel C. Sobral" writes:
: Chris Knight wrote:
: >
: > I've found the following sequence to be optimal from going from
: > pre-dirpref -current to post-dirpref -current and 4-stable to -current:
: >
: > make buildworld
: > make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
: > make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
: > make installworld
: > mergemaster
: > <reboot to single user>
: > fsck all partitions, answering yes to all prompts
: > tunefs -A -s <n> all partitions, where N > 0
:
: This is not optimal because userland may depend on a new kernel, so
: things may go awry during that installworld step.

Agreed.  There must be a solution that doesn't require such hoop
jumping.  I haven't been following this too closely.

Warner