Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 01:47:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        se@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: wine-99.11.14

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Will Andrews wrote:
> Please look at the patches I made to this port and sent to -ports about a
> week or two ago, let me know if it works on the current version or not, so
> it'll be easier to upgrade.

Without having looked at these specific patches, I'm afraid that you might
have taken the more bumpy road here.

When it takes just a few days in many cases to get simple bug fixes into
the Wine master sources, we probably should refrain from putting these
fixes into the FreeBSD ports tree instead of submitting them to the Wine
folks.

>> With the addition of just one single-line patch that I submitted just
>> an hour ago, the CVS version of Wine builds and runs on FreeBSD 3.4
>> without problems.
> Ooh, nice.

...and without using the FreeBSD ports tree, btw! :-)

>> Most of the patches in the port, apart from those affecting FreeBSD
>> itselfs, should be either obsolete or submitted to the Wine folks
>> (i.e., Alexandre Julliard <julliard@lrc.epfl.ch>).
> Submit them yourself.  Do you want to maintain this port?  ;-)

Unless someone better suited for the job (which probably boils down to
almost *everyone* else ;-) ) steps up, why not?

Though I'd be just as happy to submit PRs with concrete changes and try to
make the Wine port as small as possible and to submit changes back to the
Wine folks without becoming official maintainer.

Just let me know!

Gerald