Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 18:12:36 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   http://corp2.unisys.com/LeadStory/lzw-license.html

Web folk,

It's time to purge our site of all .gif images since Unisys has
now decided to go after each and every *user* of GIF imagery, not
just the producers of it.  This is, of course, utterly insane but
nonetheless something we now have to deal with.

I suggest going to jpeg format for all of these.  The pbm library and
a quick for loop in the shell will take care of this in in no time at
all, and it's also something I'd be willing to do if everyone else is
otherwise occupied.

- Jordan