Date:      Tue, 07 May 2002 20:07:18 +0100
From:      Jean-Mark <jeanmark@dupx.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        lists@brenius.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mylex RAID to Asus Symbios SCSI Card

> know

> > Catch 22,
> >
> > The mountroot prompt want the device name of the new controler, but you
> > dont have the /dev/sym0 device. You are stuck before the single user
> > login and can not add the device.
>
> Appears that way... but when the dmesg stuff flies by I am pretty sure
> that the Asus card is detected as sym0.

> > (DAC 960?) RAID card.
>
> The original Mylex card is not available. The resources are not available
> to have a replica if every peice of hardware contained here. Therefore,
> a new card, a similar one, or the orignal one is not an option.

Some questions im surprised noone else asked yet

1. Are you getting the fbsd booloader selection  (F1, F2 and so on)?

2.  if you are, can you hit spacebar then type  boot -c to load the
module configuration screen before going into the full boot.  If you get
this far you need to select /deselect  drivers  appropriately for the
cards being swapped

3. once you've done that there are probably some  config  files  that
need hand editing, but Ive never used RAID just ordinary SCSI.
/etc/fstab should still look the same if it's still possible to keep the
drives as they are without any kind of reinstall, dont know about
anything, im just trying to throw up suggestions
Also dont know if you'll be able to get this far from a normal boot or
if you'll need the fixit floppy or something like that just to get into
files onthe hdd to edit them

hope this gets things moving a little

jeanmark
jmdupoux_@_lineone.net