Date:      Sat, 23 Apr 2005 02:13:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy@siliconlandmark.com>
To:        Matthew Sullivan <matthew@uq.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP on Compaq DL380

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Matthew Sullivan wrote:

> Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Matthew Sullivan wrote:
>>
>>> I've been reading about problems with HP/Compaq's regarding launching of
>>> second CPUs on SMP systems.
>>>
>>> I've been through the BIOS settings and there seems to be no settings to
>>> change the APCI table etc....
>>>
>>> Now one thing that does seem common, when I have BIOS's with MP table
>>> version set to 1.4 FreeBSD doesn't report the second CPU being launched
>>> (even though it is seen in the acpidump)....  When I set the BIOS to
>>> version 1.2 of the MP table the second CPU is reported and launched.
>>>
>>> Now the Compaq DL380's I have done seem to have the ability to set 1.4 or
>>> 1.2 of the table ... mptable reports 1.4... (below)
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on how to launch the second CPU...?
>>
>> Make a boot -v from this machine available.
>
> http://scorpion.sorbs.net/dmesg.txt

The lack of the following seems to indicate that you do not have "device
apic" enabled in your kernel config (You need "options SMP" as well to get
FreeBSD to do more than just recognize both CPUs):

FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
  cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
  cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  <some number>

Please share your config and the steps that you are taking to build your
kernel.

Cheers,
Andy