Date:      Tue, 13 May 2014 22:03:45 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: staging without root privileges

Am 13.05.2014 19:18, schrieb Anton Shterenlikht:
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/ports/StageDir
> says
>
> Make sure you tested make package as a normal user (not root).
>
> Does this refer specifically to the package target?

build targets ("make all", "make stage", "make check-plist") and
packaging ("make package").

> Or to all targets up to and including package?
>
> I'm asked for root passwd on make config,
> and then I get an error on build:
>
> mkdir: /usr/ports/devel/robodoc/work: Permission denied
>
> which makes sense.

Setting WRKDIRPREFIX to a directory you can write to can fix that, and
PACKAGES specifies where the package should end up. PORT_DBDIR can be
diverted to a directory so you can run even "make config" without root
privileges.

With that, and the distfiles already downloaded ("make checksum"), you
should be able to build most ports without privileges.  A few set
NEED_ROOT, those won't do without...