Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 1996 08:56:03 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      "Alain FAUCONNET" <af@biomath.jussieu.fr>
To:        kurt@cyberbeach.net (Kurt Schafer)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail...the saga

Kurt Schafer wrote / a ecrit:

> Timeouts, timeouts, still timeouts on outbound mail.
>
> Would I be opening the gate to disaster if I were to set my Cisco to use
> the following filter rules for both incoming and outbound packets ?
>
> permit icmp any any
> permit tcp any any
> permit udp any any

If you do that, make sure that your don't export filesystems by NFS  without
restrictions on what clients can mount them (list of hosts or netgroup).
Also don't export any with root access enabled.
It would certainly be better if your NIS domain name is  not  obvious.
That would make life more difficult for someone who wants to  download
your NIS passwd map.
These  are  the  two things crossing my mind now, there are probably a
lot of others to check...

Oh, and if you're running a DNS server for your domain, make sure that
the CISCO allows connections to 53/udp and 53/tcp from outside.
Also  allow  connections  to  113/tcp from outside (identd). These two
gotchas  caused  me  some trouble when I worked on the access lists of
our  CISCO,  effectively  causing  long delays when connection to some
services (I can't remember about mail, though).

_A_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE