Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 13:21:31 +0200
From:      Marco Masotti <mc7953@mclink.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mc7953@mclink.it
Subject:   Inbound connections delayed with ppp -auto

Dear all,

Running Stable, so to speak :-), I use ppp -auto to connect my ISP. The
machine is also connected to a Lan. The nodes on such lan have no direct
routes to the internet, but can reach the Freebsd box to fulfill various
operations, WWW, ftp, etc, or use it as a proxy.

Sometimes it happens the modem is left off by accident or other reasons
(can't grab the line). When this happens, in the event that someone on
the lan does an rlogin, telnet, ftp, whatever *except ping*, to the
Freebsd machine, then he has to wait exactly 75 seconds before the
network operation can be thoroughly achieved. As an exception, the ping
always works promptly.

No doubt that 75 seconds is not a funny number, but a well defined
value, possibly related with a redial timeout or so.

Can somebody tell which value is that, and which way to follow to
circumvent the undesired behavior?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Marco