Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:38:03 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        hm@hcs.de, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: could i4b influence sound?

On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 09:00:59PM +0200, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
> >From the keyboard of Christoph Kukulies:
>
> > My sound applications (midi) are choppy and expose periodical pauses.
>
> It might be possible that i4b is the cause. Is an ISDN data transfer
> happening at this time ? Or does it happen all the time ? What type of
> card are you using ?

No, I think the line was idle when this happens. It also doesn't
seem to be correlated with the logs in /var/tmp/isdn.trace when I
enable tracing which I first thought. Anyway, it seems to be
happening at fixed time intervalls (that the sound stops playing).

Well, the sound driver uses DMA and it's essential that the DMA done
interrupt is being served with highest priority.

# AVM A1 or AVM Fritz!Card
options "AVM_A1"
device  isic0 at isa? port 0x340               net irq 5 flags 0x08 vector isici
ntr

##controller snd0

##device gus0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 12 drq 1 flags 0x3 vector gusintr

Whether I enable the FreeBSD-2.2.6 native sound driver in the kernel
or use the OSS/FreeBSD (4front) driver lkm - I bought it
spontaneously over the net yesterday (USD 20.00) - , it makes no difference.

I'm in the course of building a generic kernel without i4b now an try
to find out if i4b is related to that in any way.