Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 05:56:01 -0500
From:      jimmy fix <jim_fix@operamail.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>, Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: rpm on freebsd - beginner

hi, thank u all for the help. im just reading ppp primer now and hopefully ill
sort it out. the cd i have is not original, i burn it at work where there is
cd writer thats why it doesnt have ports...

i was just hoping to avoid setting the ppp conf by hand as im very new to
freebsd and have to admit ive got a bit baffled...

at the moment, when i tell ppp to dial i see the lights of the modem comming
up but the connection is droped (it doesnt diad). in ms-windows, i specify not
to detect dial-tone. this is because my phone dont have a constant dial tone
as in many countries...

i'm 99% sure that if i find out how to conf so it doesnt try to detect
dial-tone it'll be ok.

i got 2 isps, one being a university dial-up that someone gave me the pass.
dont know if it uses pap, chap, what is the dns etc...

the other i can find out. it is nt server, if thats relevant. for the second
isp to work, in ms-windows,apart from not detect dial-tone, i also have to add
an additional string in the advanced settings of the modem: "x3".

i know this stuff may be simple i one uses freebsd for a while but if u are
complete newbie it doesnt look very encouraging...

any suggestions are wellcome...
thanx again...