Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 19:41:25 -0700
From:      Greg Rumple <grumple@zaphon.llamas.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   okay, I want it 100%

Alright, after having enough of Linux, I finally put FreeBSD on my Sony
Vaio laptop (Sony Vaio XG18, 256MB of ram, 18.1gb hd).  I got 4.1-STABLE
on it with no problems, after fighting/playing the free I/O space/free
IRQ game I finally got my wavelan/wired ethernet working (and let me
tell you what, finding a free interrupt on this puppy was not a task,
I'm completely out now with the 1 I have given to pcmcia, and could
re-gain one by putting the pcmcia controller into polling mode if I so
desired).

Anyway, everything works great.  Sound even worked right out of the box
(well after I rebuilt the kernel turning on PCM).  The card is
recognized as

pcm0: <Yamaha DS-1E (YMF744)> port 0xfc8c-0xfc8f,0xfcc0-0xfcff mem
0xfedf8000-0xfedfffff irq 9 at device 9.0 on pci0

and works very well.  I have managed to get EVERYTHING working except
for one little nuisance.  I am unable to use the sound card after a
suspend.  Under Linux I had the same problem, but it was easy to correct
by unloading the sound module before suspending, and reloading it after
the suspend (since this card is only supported well under the commercial
OSS anyway).  Of course under linux, you have to also disable the sound
card to eject a pcmcia card, or else the machine hangs.  FreeBSD at
least doesn't exhibit this behaviour.

So the question is, I am sure to fix this the card just needs
re-initialized.  But how would I go about doing that since it's built
into the kernel?

Any ideas?

Greg

--