Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:32:49 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@ptavv.es.net>
To:        fxn@isoco.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: doubts on maintaining ports

> Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:23:52 +0100
> From: F.Xavier Noria <fxn@isoco.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I have some doubts on maintaining ports:
>
>     1. After running cvsup (with GUI if necessary) how could one
>        know whether there are new or removed ports?
>
>     2. I use "portversion -l '<'" to see which installed ports have
>        a new version, but often I would like to know the actual new
>        version number to decide whether it's worth updating or not.
>        Is there any standard utility or way to do this or do I need
>        to write my own script?
>
>     3. I would like to run "make readme" just on modified ports,
>        whether they are installed or not, what would be a suitable
>        way to accomplish it?

Try "portversion -vL =". It will list new and old version numbers
along with other relevant details like whether a port has been
removed. (But it won't tell you if it's marked BROKEN or FORBIDDEN.)

Don't forget to run 'portsdb -Uu' every time you cvsup.

If make is working correctly and you have already done a 'make readme'
on the full ports tree, a new 'make readme' should only re-make the
README files in ports that have been changed. Other than that, you
would need to read the cvsup log an manually update the modified port.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)