Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 12:46:05 -0400
From:      Mark Fullmer <maf@net.ohio-state.edu>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>, "Roberts, Patrick S" <RoberPS@LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM>
Cc:        "'Richard Archer'" <rha@interdomain.net.au>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for passive backplane chassis?

On Sat, Aug 01, 1998 at 04:45:29AM -0400, spork wrote:
> The problem with most of the switches is that it seems you lose some
> security.  I mean they "route", but they don't quite route.  The goal is
> to let no traffic of any sort pass from customer A to customer B. Does the
> RSM give you control over that?  Is it just a VLAN issue?  How about IP
> theft within the building?

Yes.  With an RSM Each VLAN looks like a virtual router port.  If each
port were a seperate VLAN, it would be just like having a high
density ethernet router.  To have decent performance you'll want to
look at adding a nffc or an 8510.

interface Vlan10
 description TEST VLAN
 ip address 128.146.35.1 255.255.255.0
 no ip directed-broadcast
 no ip proxy-arp
 no ip route-cache optimum
 ip route-cache flow

If you're interested in accounting get a FreeBSD box to capture and
process the netflow exports.

--
mark