Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 06:43:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steve Spicklemire <steve@spvi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        steve@spvi.com
Subject:   Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 30G drive.. and 4.0 RELEASE

Hmm.. I guess it's my turn to have IDE/Geometry problems.

I have a two Maxtor DiamonMax Plus 30G drives I'm attempting
to install with 4.0 Release. The installer comes up with
incorrect geometry. It insists that the disk geometry is
255/256/63 = 4112640 sectors. I've tried many things:

1) Setting the geometry (G in 4.0 FDISK utility) but
no matter what I put in for the disk geometry it only
allows me to create slices out if the 4112640 sector
portion (about 2GB) of my 30GB disk!)

2) running FDISK/Format in Windows:

  a) Tried just Win/FDISK
  b) Tried Win/FDISK + FAT32 format of whole 30GB
  c) Tried Win/FDISK + FAT format of small DOS partition

3) Pulling out my hair...

The manufacturer's web page says:

     Model Number   Actual Cyls    Max   Hds    Sect    Size
       53073U6       59,554      16,383   16     63     30.7 GB

  Maxtor recommends that you use the Auto-Detect feature in the BIOS
  for hard drive configuration. If your BIOS does not utilize
  Auto-Detect, Maxtor recommends that you:

        Manually enter the Maximum Cylinder value for the hard drive
        if greater than 8.4 GB.  Manually enter the Actual Cylinder
        value for the hard drive if less than 8.4 GB.

       NOTE: NEVER enter more than 16,383 cylinders in the system
       BIOS. This may potentially cause data loss.  Reference Document
       Number 63001 for hard drive capacity issues: Click here for
       information regarding Binary and Decimal calculations.

I've tried having the BIOS AUTO detect, and it seems to find different
useful geometries to try... I've tried them all:

16383/16/63 (Manual)
3736/255/63 (Normal)
59554/16/63  LBA

When I did the 30Gb FAT32 partition I could *see* the 30GB chunk
running 'fdisk' on the command line of the emergency shell when
I booted from the 'live cd', but I don't know how to get into
the "FDISK" 'gui' from there, and I couldn't seem to manage
the partitions using fdisk from the command line. disklabel
complained about not being able to find /mnt2/bin/vi or something
when I tried to run it.... anyway, any thoughts welcome..

thanks!
-steve