Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:08:15 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to talk replace Windows NT login verify with FreeBSD.

I have it working that way, sharing files. I am still not yet completed
with sharing printer because of a small hitch which I expect to resolve
any time I get the permissions right.

If you check keenly the file smb.conf it has those details you wanna act
on. About passwords, yes it is there and you can even synchronize passwds
with the NT Server. The easiest way though is to specify the Domain
Controller
domain controller = <Windows NT PDC netbios name>

and security = server

There is one issue though. They say NT Windows clients use encrypted
passwords. You have to check this out because they also say samba uses
plain text password. There is a FAQ about the registry keys to tweak for
this on samba.org

Quoting JianweiXu <jianweixu@msn.com>:
 [000823 19:21]:
JianweiXu>Dear
JianweiXu>
JianweiXu>I try to replace a Windows NT with a FreeBSD and don't be aware of client users.
JianweiXu>
JianweiXu>I installed samba on the FreeBSD to supply file and printer sharing, but clients must login the FreeBSD again after they login domain. Is it possible to take off Windows NT PDC and use FreeBSD supply domain login verify to avoid clients login FreeBSD again when they want to use printer or files on the FreeBSD.
JianweiXu>
JianweiXu>Yours
JianweiXu>Jovi

--
Odhiambo Washington
Systems Administrator

Princeton's taste is sweet like a strawberry tart. Harvard's is a subtle
taste, like whiskey, coffee, or tobacco. It may even be a bad habit, for all I
know. -Prof. J.H. Finley '25