Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:27:49 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, ijliao@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/29137: Brand New Tripwire-2.3.1 Port (fwd)

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:07:12 MST, "Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> As long as the maintainers are still willing to keep them up, I don't
> see any reason to remove them. Of course, if one of the maintainers
> (you for example) no longer wish to support one, unless someone else
> speaks up to support it, it should go.

I think you're approaching this from the wrong angle.  The default
should be to update existing ports rather than spawn new ones.  Special
considerations may motivate you to add new ports (e.g. a new version of
a package with an incompatible configuration file syntax), but that
should never be the default.

Ciao,
Sheldon.