Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:56:52 -0400
From:      <lists@brenius.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Matthew Seaman" <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: FDISK Partition Editor & Win2K Dual Boot

Matthew Seaman writes:
> Uh --- that partition table you've posted doesn't correspond to the
> logical layout you've given: there's no space between the ad0s1 (C:)
> and ad0s2 (E:) slices.

With the two tools (FreeBSD FDISK & Win2K Disk Management)
I have to view the layout, the W2KDM displays a space between C:
and E:.

Hopefully this text illustration shows up OK:

Primary                           "Extended"
__________________  ____________________ _______________________

__________________ ____________________ |_______________________

> I suppose your question then is "how can I divide up my current 15Gb
> ad0s2 slice into a 5Gb ad0s2 slice and a 10Gb ad0s3 slice, preserving
> the contents of the original ad0s2 into ad0s3, and using the new ad0s2
> for FreeBSD?"

In more technical FreeBSD speak, yes! :)

Or:

Since this seems to be more difficult than originally thought, I am willing to
copy all the data off of E: (back it up externally), then delete the E:, which
I am assuming would allow me to install FreeBSD and dual boot with
Win2K without loosing anything on C:?

On a side note, I am not trying to start a flame war, but I am curious as to
why Linux (specifically RedHat 7.3 and newer) was able to install into the
"Free Space" outlined in the diagram above, while FreeBSD does not
seem to be capable of doing so without 3rd party tools?

Thank you!

--Danny