Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 12:31:29 +0000
From:      Paul Dlug <paul@nerdlabs.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   fxp0 timeout errors

I posted this a while back but didn't get much of an answer beyond (use a 3com
card instead). I have a bunch of Dell 1550's with on board Intel NIC's. I
received the following messages on the console (below), any attempt to ping
results in the message "No buffer space available."

May 14 16:03:12 web5 /kernel: fxp0: DMA timeout
May 14 16:03:12 web5 /kernel: fxp0: DMA timeout
May 14 16:03:12 web5 /kernel: fxp0: SCB timeout: 0x10 0x0 0x80 0x0
May 14 16:03:12 web5 /kernel: fxp0: DMA timeout

The first box this happened on I chalked it up to a bad NIC or PCI bridge and
had Dell replace the motherboard, the problem hasn't occured since. A week
after the same thing happend on another box. This, combined with a number of
other posts about these fxp problems makes me suspect this is an OS level
problem rather than hardware. This occured under a cvsup'd version of
4.5-STABLE, I then upgraded to 4.6-PRERELEASE as of a few days ago and the
problem persisted. The box will be up anywhere from 15min to an hour before
the above messages appear and send it out of service.

pciconf -l:
chip0@pci0:0:0: class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x00081166 rev=0x23
hdr=0x00
chip1@pci0:0:1: class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x00081166 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
chip2@pci0:0:2: class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x00061166 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
chip3@pci0:0:3: class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x00061166 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
fxp0@pci0:1:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x00da1028 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x08
hdr=0x00
fxp1@pci0:2:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x00da1028 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x08
hdr=0x00
none0@pci0:3:0: class=0x030000 card=0x00df1028 chip=0x47521002 rev=0x27
hdr=0x00
isab0@pci0:15:0:        class=0x060100 card=0x02001166 chip=0x02001166
rev=0x50 hdr=0x00
atapci0@pci0:15:1:      class=0x01018a card=0x00000000 chip=0x02111166
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
ahc0@pci2:5:0:  class=0x010000 card=0x00df1028 chip=0x00cf9005 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
ahc1@pci2:5:1:  class=0x010000 card=0x00df1028 chip=0x00cf9005 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00

It looks like quite a few people are having similiar problems with the fxp
cards, is anyone close to a fix? Please let me know if there's anything I can
do to assist in debugging this issue.

Thanks,
Paul

P.S. The motherboard is SMP capable but only has one processor installed, SMP
is turned off in the kernel configuration. Disks are on an adaptec aic7899
SCSI controller. Server is an NFS client using TCP mounts. Network is
100mbps, switched, fxp0 properly autonegiotates to 100mbps/full duplex.