Date:      Sun, 07 Mar 1999 07:28:34 -0700
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        ingrid@cityscope.net
Cc:        FreeBSD Advocacy <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Active advocacy

Ingrid Kast Fuller wrote:

> Let me know if there ARE any articles somewhere to read about starting a
> FreeBSD users group as I am wanting to start one here where I live. We
> have a Unix and Linux group, but no FreeBSD group.  I have a few
> questions, maybe someone can reply with an answer:
>
> Does the group have to be registered with the state as a non-profit now
> or can I just start having meetings and then once we get some active
> support do it.

It never has to be registered unless you are going to have money change
hands and want the tax writeoff. I would suggest that merging the groups
in your idea would be a better one unless your LINUXen are the obnoxious
type.

Most users' groups don't need the nuisance caused by structure and money
and registration. Passing the hat is the easiest way to handle money.

Either way, just send meeting notices to the local papers (5 weeks in
advance for some!) and especially the school computer clubs. If you have
a University, ditto the CS lab.

Find a neutral site, not your home. Libraries and bank community rooms
work well.

> Any input from the more established User groups on getting started or
> maybe a "this is what we did" message would be great!!!

Hope this helps. Just do it! is the best advice :-D

--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *