Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 23:33:57 +1000 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        Chris Odom <chris@digitech.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: telnet to freebsd box, says connected but never says "login:"

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> > 	I just got my FreeBSD 2.1 box on our local ethernet.  I can ping it.  When I telnet to it,
> > it says "Connected to x.x.x.x", but it never says "login:".
> > 	I also get the same problem with FTP.  It connects, but it never gets past that point so that
> > I can login.
> > 	Appears as if inetd is having trouble starting up the appropriate server for whatever port I
> > happen to connect to?
>
> Given you did a normal installation out of the box (CD) or ftp and specified
> the network information correctly this behaviour is unusual.
>
>  From what kind of system are you trying to log in?
>
> Can you do the reverse? ping from your FreeBSD box to the other system?
>
> What does  ifconfig <interface> give?
>
> netstat -i
>
> netstat -r
>
> what does /etc/ttys look like?
>
> Do the ptys exist in /dev ?
>
> Do you see any error messages in /var/log/messages on your FreeBSD box?

I had similar problems connecting to a FreeBSD box but in my case via an
Annex III terminal server.  The solution for me in that case was to set

tcp_extensions=NO

in /etc/sysconfig on both machines.  Apparently the RFC 1323 and RFC 1644
TCP options were broken on our terminal server software.  I believe the
latest revision of the software has fixed this problem.

cheers,
Carey

Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Networks and Communications     ! phone : (002) 20 7419
Information Technology Services ! fax   : (002) 20 7898
University of Tasmania.         !