Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:25:40 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@izr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newfs/vinum kernel panic

Mark Drayton wrote:

> Bill Moran (wmoran@iowna.com) wrote:
> > Mark Drayton wrote:
> > > Hardware:
> > >
> > > Dual PII/350 cpu 256mb RAM 7 x 4gb IBM SCSI disks (4 x DDRS-34560W
> > > S97B, 3 x IBM DCAS-34330W S65A) Adaptec aic7890/91 Ultra2 SCSI
> > > adapter
> >
> > <from your trace>
> > > mp_lock = 01000002; cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 01000000
> >   ^^^^^^^
> >
> > Could be a multiprocessor problem. A good diagnostic might be to
> > compile a single processor kernel and see if the problem is still
> > there.
>
> Nope; still panicing with a uniprocessor kernel. I was getting some odd
> errors from one of the drives so I swapped it for another drive of the
> same type. Still no joy.
>
> I can build a debugging kernel if anyone wants me to.

Wouldn't hurt.

> I'm considering trying different motherboards (we've got plenty of other
> machines with the same boards/CPUs), although I've got another dual
> PII/350 (same board and one IBM disk) on 4.3-RELEASE/SMP kernel which is
> rock solid. Is this newfs problem characteristic of hardware trouble?

That seems to suggest a HW problem. Definately try swapping mobos then.
Also, look at what hardware is different. In addition, are you using
vinum on the reliable computer?

I'm actually in the middle of trying to debug a similar problem, and let
me tell you - it's no fun. Trying to differential where the filesystem
stops and the HDD drivers begin is a pain. At least if your problem is
reproducable it'll be easier to find. The one I'm working on is very
random, it actually took me 2 months to track it down enough to be worth
filing a PR, and after that I still haven't figured out exactly what is
causing it.

-Bill

--
It may be that true happiness is nothing more than the ability to *always*
know the right thing to say at the right time,  whereas true misery is the