Date:      Mon, 01 Oct 2001 10:26:07 +1000
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallion 2.0.0 Driver

> stl0 at port 0x2a0 irq 5 on isa0
> STALLION: too many ports attached to board 0, remove last module
> stl0: EC8/32-AT (driver version 2.0.0) unit=0 nrpanels=2 nrports=32
> stl0: driver is using old-style compatability shims

Hmm.  A quick look at the diffs show that the old driver had:

!               brdp->panels[panelnr++] = panelp;
!               brdp->nrpanels++;
!               if (ioaddr >= (brdp->ioaddr2 + 0x20))
!                       break;

while the new one has

!                 brdp->panels[panelnr++] = panelp;
!                 if ((brdp->brdtype == BRD_ECH) || (brdp->brdtype == BRD_ECHMC)
){
!                         if (ioaddr >= (brdp->ioaddr2 + 0x20)) {
!                                 printf("STALLION: too many ports attached "
!                                         "to board %d, remove last module\n",
!                                         brdp->brdnr);
!                                 break;

so AFAICT the only effect of this error message is to document a problem that
was silently ignored in the original driver.  If there is a problem with the
new driver I suspect it is somewhere else, but alas I can't offer any clues.

You could try replacing sys/i386/isa/stallion.c with the 1.39.2.1 version.  I
_think_ this will not care about the other related changes.

Greg.